Masturbation is a natural and healthy activity that many people engage in for pleasure or stress relief. But have you ever wondered how many calories you burn while masturbating?
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: Masturbation can burn anywhere from 50 to 150 calories per session, depending on various factors.
In this article, we’ll explore the science behind masturbation and calorie burning, and discuss the various factors that can affect how many calories you burn during this activity. We’ll also look at some of the potential benefits of masturbation beyond just burning calories.
The Science of Calorie Burning
Calories are a measure of energy, and our bodies burn calories constantly to fuel basic functions like breathing, circulating blood, and maintaining body temperature. But beyond these basic functions, we also burn calories through physical activity, whether that’s running a marathon or simply taking a brisk walk.
The amount of calories we burn during physical activity depends on a variety of factors, including our weight, age, and gender, as well as the intensity and duration of the activity. For example, a 150-pound person might burn around 100 calories per mile of running, while a 200-pound person might burn closer to 130 calories per mile.
What Factors Affect Calorie Burning?
Several factors can affect how many calories you burn during physical activity, including:
- Your weight: heavier people burn more calories doing the same activity
- Your age: younger people tend to burn more calories than older people
- Your gender: men tend to burn more calories than women due to having more muscle mass
- The intensity of the activity: higher intensity activities burn more calories per minute than lower intensity activities
- The duration of the activity: longer activities burn more calories overall than shorter activities
Does Masturbation Really Burn Calories?
Masturbation is a form of physical activity, and like any physical activity, it burns calories. However, the number of calories burned during masturbation is relatively low. According to one study, men burn around 3-4 calories per minute during masturbation, while women burn around 2-3 calories per minute.
While these numbers might not seem like much, they do add up over time. For example, if a man masturbates for 15 minutes, he might burn around 45-60 calories, which is roughly equivalent to the number of calories in a small apple. However, it’s important to keep in mind that masturbation should not be viewed as a substitute for regular exercise. While it can be a healthy and enjoyable form of sexual expression, it’s not a substitute for the many health benefits of regular physical activity.
Factors Affecting Calorie Burn
Masturbation is a common sexual activity that is often associated with pleasure and stress relief. However, many people also wonder about the amount of calories that can be burned during this activity. The number of calories burned during masturbation can vary depending on several factors, including:
- Age and gender: Men and women may burn different amounts of calories during masturbation. Additionally, older individuals may burn fewer calories than younger individuals due to changes in metabolism and physical activity levels.
- Intensity and duration: Like any physical activity, the intensity and duration of masturbation can affect the number of calories burned. More intense and longer sessions may lead to more calories burned.
- Body weight and composition: Body weight and composition can also play a role in the number of calories burned during masturbation. Generally, individuals with more muscle mass tend to burn more calories than those with less muscle mass.
- Other factors: Other factors such as overall health, hormone levels, and physical fitness can also affect the number of calories burned during masturbation.
While there is no exact number for the amount of calories burned during masturbation, it is estimated to range from 5-50 calories per session. However, it is important to note that masturbation should not be viewed as a substitute for regular exercise and a healthy diet. Engaging in regular physical activity and maintaining a balanced diet are important for overall health and wellbeing.
It is also worth noting that the number of calories burned during masturbation is relatively small compared to other physical activities. For example, jogging can burn up to 10 times more calories per minute than masturbation. Therefore, it should not be relied upon as the sole means of burning calories or losing weight.
Potential Benefits of Masturbation
Masturbation has been a taboo topic for many years, but studies have shown that it can have several potential benefits for both men and women.
- Stress relief: Masturbation can help reduce stress levels by releasing endorphins, which are natural mood-boosters. It can also promote relaxation and help you sleep better.
- Improved sleep: As mentioned, masturbation can promote relaxation and help you fall asleep faster. This can lead to better overall sleep quality and improved energy levels throughout the day.
- Boosted mood: Masturbation can also help boost your mood by releasing dopamine, another natural mood-boosting chemical in the brain. This can help alleviate symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Improved sexual function: Masturbation can help improve sexual function by increasing blood flow to the genitals and promoting better sexual arousal and response. It can also help strengthen pelvic floor muscles, which can improve sexual performance and prevent urinary incontinence.
- Reduced risk of prostate cancer: Studies have shown that regular masturbation can help reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men. One study found that men who ejaculated more than 21 times per month had a lower risk of developing prostate cancer than those who ejaculated less than 7 times per month. However, more research is needed in this area to confirm these findings.
If you are experiencing any sexual health concerns, it is recommended to speak with a healthcare professional for guidance and support.
While masturbation isn’t a substitute for regular exercise, it can still be a fun and healthy way to burn some extra calories. The exact number of calories burned during masturbation will vary depending on various factors, but it’s safe to say that it can be a moderate calorie-burning activity.
So if you’re looking for a low-impact way to add a little more physical activity to your day, don’t be afraid to indulge in a little self-pleasure. Just make sure to practice good hygiene and keep it safe and consensual.
We hope this article has helped answer your question about how many calories masturbation burns, and has provided some additional information about the potential benefits of this activity.