Are you curious about how many numbers are in roulette? If you’re new to the game, it can be confusing to understand the different types of bets you can make and how they relate to the numbers on the wheel.
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: there are 38 numbers in American roulette and 37 numbers in European roulette. But there’s a lot more to learn about this classic casino game!
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the numbers on a roulette wheel, including the difference between American and European roulette, the payouts for different bets, and some tips for playing the game.
The Basics of Roulette
Roulette is a popular casino game that is enjoyed by millions of people worldwide. The game is played using a wheel that is divided into numbered slots, ranging from 0 to 36. The objective of the game is to predict where the ball will land after the wheel is spun. Players place their bets on the table, and the winnings are determined by the number and type of bets placed.
How the game is played
The game of roulette begins with the players placing their bets on the table. This can be done by placing chips on the various betting options available on the table. Once the bets have been placed, the dealer spins the wheel and releases the ball. Players can continue to place bets until the dealer announces that no more bets can be placed. The ball eventually comes to a stop in one of the numbered slots, and the winning bets are paid out.
The difference between American and European roulette
There are two main types of roulette: American and European. The difference between the two is the number of slots on the wheel. American roulette has 38 slots, including a 0 and a 00, while European roulette has 37 slots, including only one 0. This means that the odds of winning in European roulette are slightly better than in American roulette. It is important to note that the betting options and payouts are the same in both versions of the game.
The layout of the roulette table
The roulette table is designed to accommodate multiple players, each with their own set of chips. The table is divided into two main sections: the inside and the outside. The inside section contains the numbers and the corresponding betting options, while the outside section contains the various betting options that do not involve numbers. The table is also divided into rows and columns, with each row representing a set of 12 numbers and each column representing a set of numbers that share a common characteristic (such as being odd or even).
The Numbers on the Roulette Wheel
Roulette is a popular casino game that has been played for centuries. The game is named after the French word for “little wheel,” which is exactly what the game revolves around. The roulette wheel is divided into numbered slots, and a small ball is spun around the wheel until it comes to a stop in one of the slots. Players bet on which slot the ball will land in, and those who guess correctly are rewarded with payouts.
How Many Numbers Are on the Wheel?
The number of slots on a roulette wheel can vary depending on the version of the game being played. The most common version of roulette, known as European roulette, has 37 slots. These slots are numbered from 0 to 36, with half of them colored red and the other half colored black. The 0 slot is typically colored green to differentiate it from the other numbers.
American roulette is another popular version of the game, which features 38 slots. In addition to the 0 slot, American roulette also has a 00 slot, which is also colored green. This extra slot gives the house a slightly higher edge over players, making it less favorable for those looking to win big.
The Colors and Order of the Numbers
As mentioned, the numbers on a roulette wheel are divided into red and black slots, with the 0 slot (and 00 slot in American roulette) being green. The numbers themselves are arranged in a specific order around the wheel, with the sequence being different for American and European roulette.
In European roulette, the numbers are arranged in the following order: 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2, 25, 17, 34, 6, 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, 33, 1, 20, 14, 31, 9, 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3, 26.
American roulette, on the other hand, has a slightly different order: 0, 28, 9, 26, 30, 11, 7, 20, 32, 17, 5, 22, 34, 15, 3, 24, 36, 13, 1, 00, 27, 10, 25, 29, 12, 8, 19, 31, 18, 6, 21, 33, 16, 4, 23, 35, 14, 2.
The Different Types of Bets You Can Make
There are many different types of bets you can make when playing roulette, each with its own odds and potential payouts. Some of the most common bets include:
- Straight up: Betting on a single number
- Split: Betting on two adjacent numbers
- Street: Betting on three numbers in a row
- Corner: Betting on four numbers that form a square
- Line: Betting on six numbers in two adjacent rows
- Column: Betting on all 12 numbers in a vertical column
- Dozen: Betting on 12 numbers in a specific range (1-12, 13-24, or 25-36)
- Odd/Even: Betting on whether the ball will land on an odd or even number
- Red/Black: Betting on whether the ball will land on a red or black number
Each type of bet has its own set of odds and payouts, so it’s important to understand the rules and potential rewards before placing your chips on the table.
Payouts for Different Bets
When playing roulette, there are two types of bets: inside bets and outside bets. Inside bets offer higher payouts but have lower odds of winning, while outside bets offer lower payouts but have higher odds of winning. Here are the different types of bets and their payouts:
- Straight up bets: This is a bet on a single number. It offers the highest payout of 35:1.
- Split bets: This is a bet on two adjacent numbers. It offers a payout of 17:1.
- Street bets: This is a bet on three consecutive numbers in a row. It offers a payout of 11:1.
- Corner bets: This is a bet on four numbers that form a square. It offers a payout of 8:1.
- Six-line bets: This is a bet on six consecutive numbers in two rows. It offers a payout of 5:1.
- Column and dozen bets: These are bets on an entire column or dozen of numbers. They offer a payout of 2:1.
- Even money bets: These are bets on either red or black, even or odd, or high or low numbers. They offer a payout of 1:1.
It’s important to note that the house edge varies depending on the type of bet. Straight up bets have the highest house edge at 5.26%, while even money bets have the lowest house edge at 2.70%.
Understanding the payouts for different bets is crucial to developing a winning roulette strategy. By knowing the odds and potential payouts, players can make informed decisions about which bets to place and how much to wager.
Tips for Playing Roulette
- Understand the odds and payouts: Before placing your bets, it’s important to know the odds of winning and the potential payouts. Different types of bets have different odds and payouts, so make sure you understand them before placing your chips on the table.
- Set a budget and stick to it: Roulette can be an exciting game, but it’s important to play within your means. Set a budget for yourself before you start playing and stick to it. Don’t chase losses by betting more than you can afford.
- Don’t chase your losses: If you have a losing streak, don’t try to win back your losses by making bigger bets. This can lead to even bigger losses. Take a break, walk away from the table, and come back later when you’re feeling more level-headed.
- Practice with free online roulette games: If you’re new to roulette or just want to practice your skills, try playing free online roulette games. This can help you get a feel for the game without risking any money.
- Play at a reputable casino: Make sure you’re playing at a reputable casino with fair games and a good reputation. Check reviews and ratings online before choosing a casino to play at.
Remember, roulette is a game of chance and there’s no guaranteed way to win. However, by understanding the odds and payouts, setting a budget, and playing at a reputable casino, you can increase your chances of having a fun and enjoyable experience.
Roulette is a classic casino game that offers players the chance to win big with a single spin of the wheel. Understanding the numbers on the wheel and the different types of bets you can make is essential to playing the game successfully.
Whether you’re a seasoned roulette player or just starting out, we hope this guide has been helpful in answering your question about how many numbers are in roulette and providing you with the information you need to enjoy the game to its fullest.