If you’re an avid Instagram user, you probably know how important your username is. It’s the first thing people see when they come across your profile, and it’s how they can find you on the platform. But what if you want to change it?
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: You can change your Instagram username once every 14 days.
In this article, we’ll dive deeper into the topic of changing your Instagram username. We’ll cover how to change it, why you might want to change it, and some things to keep in mind before you do so.
Why Change Your Instagram Username?
Your Instagram username is essentially your online identity. It’s how people find and recognize you on the platform. While you might have chosen your username when you first signed up for Instagram, there are several reasons why you might want to change it.
One of the most common reasons people change their Instagram usernames is to align it with their personal brand. If you’re using Instagram as a tool for business or networking, having a username that reflects your brand can make it easier for people to find and remember you. For instance, if you’re a freelance photographer, you might want to use your full name or a variation of it to make it easier for potential clients to find you.
If you’re concerned about your privacy on Instagram, changing your username can be an effective way to make it harder for people to find and track you. For instance, if you’ve been receiving unwanted attention or harassment on the platform, changing your username can make it harder for the person to find you again. However, keep in mind that changing your username won’t necessarily make you completely anonymous on the platform. Your posts and comments will still be visible to your followers and anyone who has interacted with them.
Another reason you might want to change your Instagram username is if you’re rebranding your business or personal brand. If you’ve changed your niche or focus, or you’re targeting a different audience, it might make sense to update your username to reflect the changes. However, keep in mind that changing your username too often can confuse your followers and make it harder for them to find you.
How to Change Your Instagram Username
Changing your Instagram username is a quick and easy process. Here are step-by-step instructions to change your Instagram username:
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile page.
- Click on the “Edit Profile” button.
- Click on the username field and type in your desired username.
- Click on “Done” and then confirm your changes.
It’s important to note that changing your Instagram username will also change your profile URL. This means that any links to your profile that you’ve shared previously will no longer work. However, any followers you have will still see your updated username in their feed.
Changing your Instagram username can have a few effects on your account. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
|Username availability||If your desired username is already taken, you won’t be able to change your username to that.|
|Searchability||If someone searches for your old username, they won’t be able to find your account. You’ll need to let your followers know about your new username.|
|Tagged photos and mentions||Your old username will still be visible in any photos or posts that you’ve been tagged in. You’ll need to manually update these to your new username.|
|Profile URL||Your profile URL will change to reflect your new username. Any links to your old profile URL will no longer work.|
Things to Consider Before Changing Your Username
If you’re considering changing your Instagram username, there are a few things you should keep in mind before making the switch. While it may seem like a simple and harmless change, there are potential impacts on your followers, engagement, and existing links that you should consider.
- Impact on your followers: Your followers may have a hard time finding your account if you suddenly change your username. If you’ve built up a loyal following, you don’t want to risk losing them because they can no longer find you. It’s important to let your followers know about the change ahead of time and provide clear instructions on how to find your new username.
- Impact on your engagement: Changing your username can also have an impact on your engagement. If your followers are used to seeing your old username, they may not recognize your posts in their feed and may be less likely to engage with them. This can lead to a decrease in likes, comments, and overall engagement.
- Impact on your existing links: If you have existing links to your Instagram account, such as in your email signature or on your website, changing your username can cause those links to break. This can be frustrating for your followers and can also impact your website’s SEO if the broken links are not fixed.
Before making the decision to change your Instagram username, it’s important to weigh the potential impacts on your followers, engagement, and existing links. If you do decide to make the change, be sure to communicate it clearly with your followers and update any existing links to your account to avoid any confusion or broken links.
For more information on optimizing your Instagram account, check out Hootsuite’s Instagram for Business Tips.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you change your username to one that’s already taken? No, you cannot change your username to one that is already taken by another user on Instagram. You will need to choose a different username that is not already in use.
- Will your old username be available for someone else to take? Yes, once you change your username, your old username will be immediately available for another user to take. So, if you change your username, make sure you are okay with losing it forever.
- Can you change your username on the Instagram app? Yes, you can change your username on the Instagram app. Simply go to your profile, tap “Edit Profile”, and then tap on your current username. From there, you can enter a new username and save your changes.
For more information about changing your username on Instagram, you can visit the Instagram Help Center.
Your Instagram username is an important part of your online presence. While you can change it once every 14 days, it’s important to consider the potential impact on your followers and engagement before doing so. Whether you’re rebranding, looking to enhance your personal branding, or simply want a change, following the steps outlined in this article can help you successfully change your Instagram username.